5 Free and Easy Ways to Improve the Health of Your School
Back to school is coming! Wondering what you can do to easily improve the health of your school? Here are some easy tips that cost NOTHING.
1. Request the Alternative Menu! This menu has less processed foods, some scratch cooked items, and more vegetarian options. No chicken nuggets or mozzarella sticks! Just discuss with your principal and food service director! Find your district food manager here: http://www.schoolfoodnyc.org/resources/SchoolFoodDistrictRegionalDirectory.pdf
2. Request a water jet! This is free! Water consumption lowers obesity and also leads to better academic performance! Just email your district food service managers to get one installed. Find yours here: http://www.schoolfoodnyc.org/resources/SchoolFoodDistrictRegionalDirectory.pdf
3. Eliminate Chocolate Milk! Your school does not have to serve chocolate milk, which has 20 grams of sugar per 8 ounces. You also just need to write to your principal and request this. We have a sample letter in our resources tab of our website here that you can use. https://www.nychealthyschoolfoodalliance.com/resources
4. Start a monthly fruit and vegetable tasting! We partner with a local grocer and bring in parent volunteers once a month and serve a sample of a fresh fruit or veggie of the month to all kids. Get the fruit donated and use parent volunteers and you have a great way to get kids to learn to love their fruits and veggies!
5. Get a salad bar! If you don't have one, you are entitled to one...email your food service director.
And if you don't have one, start a Wellness Committee on your PTA to work on different initiatives that are meaningful to your community.
Questions? Ideas? Want to get in touch? Email me at email@example.com.